A recipe for those simple and super versatile ones, exactly the recipes I love the most!
I fell in love with this recipe at the first taste. Yes, because apple butter is also very good to eat just with a spoon.
Obviously it is not real butter, but Americans call it "butter" for its consistency, so much so that they use it instead of butter in some recipes.
A few days ago I used it in my tart and the result was amazing. It is also incredibly tasty when spread on bread instead of jam, together with yogurt and almond butter, must be the end of the world. You can also use it instead of apple puree, which I usually use to sweeten my pancakes and cakes. The puree is more watery and less flavorful so cakes and pancakes can only improve in terms of taste. But I would also use it as a filling for crêpes or to create a nice tasty cup, together with Greek yogurt mixed with whipped soy milk and a few spoonfuls of homemade granola. Or even to sweeten the granola. Endless combination for this Apple Butter!
In short, this jar will last me probably one night, I know already!!
....In the meantime, put on your apron and get to work, We will do magic with this butter. Together!!
PS: instead of cinnamon you can use vanilla extract- no sugar, tho! Learn to enjoy the natural flavour of foods (apples, like all fruit, contain fructose and there is no need to add anything else, believe me).
Ingredients for a jar:
- 500 g organic apples (weight excluding waste)
- 100 ml of water
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- the zest of 1 untreated lemon
- Rinse the apples well, remove the core and cut them into small pieces (if you prefer, you can peel them).
- Put them in a saucepan together with the water, cinnamon and whole lemon zest (we will eliminate it at the end of cooking).
- Cook them covered over low heat for about an hour, turning them occasionally. The water must be completely absorbed.
- Then remove the zest and move the apples to the blender.
- Blend until a smooth and dense mixture is obtained.
- Your apple butter is ready. Put it in a sterilised jar and close it.